23 killed, 50 injured in Kabul blasts (+VIDEOS)

TEHRAN, Nov. 02 (MNA) – At least 23 people were killed and 50 wounded when two explosions followed by gunfire hit Afghanistan’s biggest military hospital in Kabul, according to an Afghan local media.

Two powerful explosions and the sound of gunfire were heard near the Sardar Mohammad Daud Khan military hospital in the Afghan capital Kabul on Tuesday, according to witnesses and a government spokesperson.

Reports suggest that the blast near the Sardar Mohammad Daud Khan hospital occurred at around 13:00 local time (8:30 GMT), Sputnik reported. 

"A suicide bomb attack took place in a 400-bed hospital next to the Ministry of Public Health", the eyewitness said, adding that shots were fired after the blast.

Later, witnesses told that another blast had been heard in the area.

Bilal Karimi, the deputy spokesman of the Taliban, told reporters that at least two blasts took place at the entrance of the 400-bed hospital in Kabul’s 10th district. Witnesses told Al-Jazeera it was a car bomb.

“Security forces are deployed to the area, there is no information about casualties,” he said on Twitter.

Saeed Khosty, interior ministry spokesman confirmed that there were casualties as a result of the blasts, but it was not immediately clear how many.

According to the latest reports by an Afghan local media,  at least 23 people were killed and 50 wounded.

Taliban commander said that the attackers were 6 people, five of whom were killed and one was arrested, Tolo News reported.

Photographs shared by residents showed a plume of smoke over the area of the blasts near the former diplomatic zone in the Wazir Akbar Khan area of the city and witnesses said at least two helicopters were flying over the area.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility. 

ZZ/

News Code 180296

Tags

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
  • 6 + 2 =