2 killed, several injured in terrorist attack in Iran’s Chabahar port

CHABAHAR, Dec. 06 (MNA) – A terrorist suicide blast in Iran’s southeastern port Chabahar near the Pakistani border on Thu. has left at least two people dead and over 30 others injured.

According to early reports, explosion and shooting were heard in Iran’s southeastern port Chabahar near the Pakistani border on Thursday morning, at 9:30 AM.

According to security officials, the explosion was caused by a car bomb going off in front of the Police Headquarters in Chabahar, Sistan and Baluchestan province.

Casualties have been reported in the blast, with two confirmed dead and a number of pedestrians and shop owners injured. Later reports dismissed that the police chief of Chabahar was among the casualties.

Cars damaged in the explosion

The Iranian Red Crescent Society's Relief and Rescue Organization put the final number of injured at 35, and confirmed the death of four. Head of Chabahar healthcare center also said a pregnant woman and a 16-year-old teenager are among the injured.

According to the deputy governor of Chabahar, the suicide bomber driving in a Nissan pickup was planning to attack the Chabahar Police HQ, but was stopped by police officers at the front gate and detonated the explosives packed in the vehicle. The terrorist died in the explosion. 

The site of the suicide blast

IRGC Ground Force Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour, who is also at the scene of the terror attack, said the attack was carried out in a blind fashion and had no outcome for the terrorists.

He voiced regret that a number of guards standing at the front gate to the police HQ were killed or injured in the blast.

Chabahar's deputy for political and security affairs said two police officers, namely Dariush Ranjbar and Naser Darzadeh, were killed in the blast, and three others injured. He said no group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far, adding that the various aspects of the attack would soon come to light after thorough investigation is concluded. He maintained that the situation is under control.

Later reports indicate that Ansar Al-Furqan terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

MS/4477643

News Code 140250

Tags

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
  • 3 + 2 =