180 Yemeni civilians killed in August: UN

SANAA, Sep. 24 (MNA) – At least 180 civilians were killed last month in war-torn Yemen, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said.

"We note with deep concern the sharp increase in civilian casualties since the suspension of peace talks, with 180 people killed and 268 injured in August,” Cecile Pouilly, a spokeswoman for the UN agency, said Friday. 

“In total, 3,980 civilians have been killed and 6,909 injured between 26 March 2015 and 22 September 2016.” 

Pouilly said the August toll marks a %40 increase compared to the number of casualties in July, when 60 civilians were killed. 

"In the light of the high civilian casualty numbers and the terrible suffering of the civilian population, we urge all parties to respect their obligations under international humanitarian law, including their obligation to respect the principles of distinction, proportionality and precaution,” she said. 

“We reiterate our call for the setting up of an international and independent investigative body," Pouilly said. 

AA/MNA

News Code 119967

Tags

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
  • 5 + 6 =