Moscow condemns attack in Homs aimed to disrupt peace process

MOSCOW, Feb. 26 (MNA) – The recent deadly bombings in the Syrian city of Homs are barbaric and aim to disrupt peace talks in Astana and Geneva, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement Sunday.

 On Saturday, security sources told Sputnik that six suicide attackers had targeted two buildings belonging to Syrian government’s security agencies.

At least 35 people had been killed, including the military security chief of the Homs province. Al-Nusra Front terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack.

"Moscow strongly condemns barbaric actions of extremists in Homs… The terrorists should not succeed in their attempts to disrupt efforts made by the international community in Astana and Geneva to secure a lasting ceasefire and initiate political settlement in Syria through a broad intra-Syrian dialogue," the statement read.

The ministry stressed that those behind the attack must be brought to justice.

Bashar Jaafari, the head of the Syrian government delegation to the intra-Syrian talks in Geneva, and UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura called the Homs attack a message for the Geneva peace talks.

SPUTNIK/MNA

News Code 123851

Tags

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
  • 4 + 0 =