Nov 5, 2015, 11:52 AM
WHO reports new case of Ebola

NEW YORK, Nov. 05 (MNA) – A newborn who was born in Guinea was the only confirmed case of Ebola in the week ending November 1, said the World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday.

In its latest report on the Ebola epidemic in West Africa, the UN agency said the baby belongs to a 25 year old woman living in the prefecture of Forecariah, who had been diagnosed with the virus a few days before.

According to WHO, the female died after childbirth, and child receives treatment at a center of the capital, Conakry.

The number of people who remain under monitoring in Guinea on suspicion of contracting the virus rose from 364-382, and 141 are considered high risk.

For its part, Sierra Leone had no new infections for the seventh consecutive week, and it could be declared free of the deadly virus on November 7, unless a case arises, the Organization said.

Since September, Liberia has become free of the deadly outbreak, responsible for more than 11 thousand 300 dead the vast majority in the three countries mentioned West Africa.

WHO said that for 14 successive weeks,there have been less than five confirmed Ebola infections, a period during which transmission of the disease was confined in specific areas of western Guinea.

 

hr/tac/mem/wmr

PL-54/MNA

 

News Code 111668

Tags

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
  • captcha