FM condemns Baghdad deadly blasts

TEHRAN, Jul. 03 (MNA) – Foreign Ministry spokesperson has condemned 2 deadly blasts which hit a crowded shopping area of Baghdad on Sunday morning hours.

Bahram Ghassemi also offered condolences and official sympathy to the families of the victims of the blasts and Iraqi government.

“Liberation of Fallujah and subsequent humiliating defeat of ISIL in different fronts in the hands of Iraqi government has frustrated the terrorist group and its sympathizers, then plunging them into despair and seeking desperately to even more extremist actions of suicide attack to target innocent civilians,” said Mr. Ghassemi. “The Islamic Republic of Iran will support efforts by Iraqi government in bringing the ultimate defeat of terrorists in Iraq.”

“Two blasts have ripped through busy market areas in Baghdad, Iraq’s capital, killing around 80 people and injuring 160. Iraqi officials quoted by AP put the death toll from the first attack, in Karrada district, at 78 and said that more than 160 people had been injured. Interior Ministry spokesman Saad Maan confirmed that the first blast had come from a car bomb,” wrote a Russia Today coverage of the event.

ISIL has claimed responsibility for one of the attacks.

SH

News Code 117806

Tags

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
  • 1 + 10 =