Iran responds to 5+1 group’s letter

TEHRAN, Jul2 4 (MNA) – Tehran on Friday delivered its response to the six world powers’ letter on ending the West’s prolonged nuclear standoff with the Islamic Republic, an informed official at the Foreign Ministry told the Mehr News Agency.

EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana on June 14 presented Iran with a letter by the foreign ministers of Britain, the United States, Russia, China, France, and Germany as well as a revised package of incentives offering nuclear cooperation and wider trade in exchange for a halt in Tehran’s uranium enrichment activities.

 

Iran’s ambassador to Brussels Ali-Asghar Khaji delivered Tehran’s response signed by Foreign Minister Manuchehr Mottaki to Solana, said the official who requested anonymity.

 

Earlier on Friday, top nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili told Solana in a telephone conversation that Iran has prepared its response to the six powers’ letter.

 

“The Islamic Republic has prepared and presented a response to the letter of the six countries with a focus on common ground between the two sides and a constructive and creative view.”

 

The two also agreed to hold further talks later this month.

 

“Certain behaviors which intensify the Iranian people’s mistrust should be prevented because some actions sparked the reaction of public opinion and parliament,” Jalili said in an indirect reference to the European Union’s decision to impose further sanctions on the Islamic Republic ahead of receiving its answer to the new incentives.

 

Solana vowed that the EU “will not take any measures that would affect the current positive climate”, adding, “I am sure that by taking positive steps the atmosphere of talks will be constructive.”

 

BA/PA

END

MNA

 

News Code 28783

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
  • 7 + 7 =